Tuesday

Captain Moonlite

Captain Moonlite
Andrew George Scott (1845 –  1880) aka Captain Moonlite

Scott was not a typical bushranger. He was a well educated Irishman, a preacher, with no convict connections. He allegedly held up the local bank in Ballarat when he was not paid by the chuch for work he had done. He wrote a short note at the bank and signed it Captain Moonlite. Some time later he was found guilty of passing bad cheques and sentenced to prison.  When he left Prison he could not find honest employment so left to find work in Sydney. Tired, cold, wet and nearly starving he and James Nesbitt, who he met in prison, and others, decided to rob farm houses for food and weapons. He was captured by police in in November 1879 near Wagga Wagga, sentenced and hung in Sydney on 20 January 1880.
 
PURCHASE: In Search of Captain Moonlite: Bushranger, conman, warrior, lunatic
By Paul Terry

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good information :::)) I liked it

Bushrangers said...

Thanks for taking time to make a comment and glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky I discovered your website by chance (stumbleupon).
I've saved as a favorite for later!

Anonymous said...

Great information! I was working on a project about Captain Moonlite and this helped me a lot!

Lee Good said...

Thanks for the positive feedback on this post everyone. Captain Moonlight was a fascinating bushranger with a cool name!

Unknown said...

This helped me with my homework. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

not a lot of information
only one paragraph about his entire life.

Bushrangers said...

Thanks Raptorstar and others for your kind comments.
Anonymous - isn't it sad that one's life can be reduced to one paragraph even if famous like Captain Moonlite! I'll be endeavouring to add more info soon when I find time to do genealogical research about him.

Anonymous said...

this is for my homework

Unknown said...

IT was only one paragraph on his whole life and some of the words I did not understand and I can just go onto Wikipedia and find better information.

Santa Maria Security System said...

Appreciatee your blog post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...