Wednesday

The Glenrowan Inn

The Glenrowan Inn site of the Kelly Gang siege in 1880
This photograph shows the burnt remains of the Jones's Hotel, the scene of the final confrontation between Ned Kelly and the Victorian Police.
A sign still stands: "The Glenrowan Inn, Ann Jones, best accommodation".
Source: State Library Victoria
Taken by John Bray 1880

This is where Ned Kelly, dressed in home-made plate metal armour and the infamous helmet, was captured and sent to gaol.  Dan Kelly, Joe Byrne, and Steve Hart were with him and also had suits of armour.

I do not say what brought me to Glenrowan, but it seems much. Anyhow I could have got away last night, for I got into the bush with my grey mare, and lay there all night. But I wanted to see the thing end. Part of Ned Kelly's statement to the press.

The Glenrowan Inn, owned by Ann Jones, was burned to the ground by the police after the Kelly Gang siege in June 1880.

See also: The Demise of the Kelly Gang

5 comments:

Peter Smirnow said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like
yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% sure. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Bushrangers said...

Hiya Peter, this is a free blog from Blogger

Joe Byrne the Bushranger said...

Not enough information

Bushrangers said...

So interested to "meet" you Joe! I would love you to share some more information on Glenrowan or any of your bushranging exploits. In the meantime did you check out the other links here on this site about the Kelly Gang. Some of the articles may be short but there are quite a few articles altogether and I'm adding more when I can.

Anonymous said...

its not that much information

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...