|Van Dieman’s Land from Geographicus Rare Antique Maps|
White man's history of Tasmania relating to bushrangers
1642: The first reported sighting of Tasmania by a European the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman.1804: Settlement established by Capt. David Collins in Sullivans Cove on the western side of the Derwent River. It became known as Hobart Town or Hobarton, later shortened to Hobart, after the British Colonial Secretary of the time, Lord Hobart.
Early settlers were mainly convicts sent to develop agriculture and military guards sent to watch over the convicts.
1812: Michael Howe (later a bushranger) among first convicts to arrive directly from England in HMS Indefatigable.
1814: Governor Lachlan Macquarie offers amnesty to bushrangers.
1815: Michael Howe's bushranging gang kills two settlers in New Norfolk.
1815: Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Davey declares martial law against all bushrangers, escaped convicts and military deserters; Governor Lachlan Macquarie later revokes order.
1818: Soldiers and convict kill bushranger Michael Howe on banks of Shannon River.
1821: Establishment of Macquarie Harbour penal settlement at Sarah Island.
1821: Establishment of Maria Island penal settlement.
1823 - 1824: Musquito, Black Jack and other members of the Oyster Bay tribe made raids on the east coast.
1824: Matthew Brady escapes from Sarah Island with 13 others, and begins a crime spree at homesteads and villages throughout Tasmania.
1826: Matthew Brady hanged on 4 May, at the old Hobart gaol. Four other bushrangers were hanged with him, including Thomas Jeffries the cannibal.
1832 - 1833: Britton's gang of four escaped convicts, himself, Beaven, Jefkins and Brown terrorised Tasmania's countryside.
1840: Start of economic depression which continues until 1845.
1840: Bushranger Martin Cash captured in Hobart, his death sentence was commuted and he was later pardoned.
1842: William Westood (Jackey Jackey) escapes from Port Arthur 3 times in one year.
the companion to TASMANIAN HISTORY Centre for Tasmanian Historical Studies.
Trove 16th August 1873.